Thursday, February 4, 2016

Just Thinking While The Rig is Tripping Pipe

     So I was thinking and trust me I do a lot of thinking.  What would be a good way to heat a  greenhouse in the winter time without the need for massive amounts of electricity or any electricity at all?
      One thought I had was piping heated water underneath the greenhouse that went to a remote boiler unit that was powered by wood or paper blocks (thinking paper blocks since it is a great way to use the junk mail paper that everybody gets) to heat the boiler pipes.  The other idea is through solar array.  I'm kind of leaning toward the first one because then I could put a really nice copper design to go with it and make it really Steampunkish.  I would still need a little bit of solar to power the pumps and the fans but I could limit that to   a 12 volt parralel wiring system.  The design of course has already been tested on geothermal mass heaters for pumping heated liquid to heat a space so I do not see a problem with doing a similar system for the greenhouse.  The only problem is going to filling the British Thermal Unit requirement for the space in general so I may have to break it up into levels.  First level being a inbed system and the second level being a force draft system.  Now the easy way to figure this out is to think about conditioning the space.  For every 452' of space you will need 1 ton of air to condition said space.  Here is the kicker.  The 452' is for a standard insulated run of the mill house and the greenhouse is not your run of the mill house with only an air gap to provide insulation from the elements.  So I will have to reresearch my college books on the algorithm used to figure out insulation of a glass structure.  During the days of sun when it is winter there really will be little need for the heat since the UV rays will do most of the heating but overcast days will need to be accounted for.  In all I can't wait to show you the drawing on this one because once it is done being Steampunk'd out it will not only look impressive but everything will be fully functional.  All Steampunk ideas that will be on this blog except for a couple decor ideas will be fully functional and you will be able to do yourself if you would like.  Well until the next time.  Thanks again for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment