Thursday, January 7, 2016

Looking Into Research Old Ways

     As I sit here at my workstation at the rig I consider myself quite accomplished today.  Though I am still about a little over a week from heading home I found myself doing some research on old ways.  Now you may look at the ones I have chosen to research and think "Why on earth did you research that era?"  Well to tell you the truth I have a love for the Steampunk genre of reading.  Since it mainly takes place in the Victorian and Edwardian era I decided to start there.  See what they ate, how they conducted their lives and what their mannerisms was like.
     Needless to say they are far from ours.  Manners basically ruled the social classes and one could go up in rank simply by showing some sense of propriety in ones self.  Looking into the household aspect of it I was able to find one book that basically summed it up in what would be called encyclopedic proportions.  Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management was title and a book it is.  Sprawling at nearly 2,000 pages this book has everything one would need to know about the age in household perspective.  The references to cooking nearly take up the whole book and I can't wait to get my hands on a hardcover copy.
     With so many pages on cooking recipes it is pretty easy to see where we need to start out on the farm when it comes to produce and to what quantity to plant.  What animals to raise we have already discussed that and have decided on chickens, goats and maybe a couple ducks for the holidays.  Oh I do love a good roast duck during Christmas.
     For now since it is the cold season and I cannot plant anything at this time I am going to focus on more research for the upcoming planting season and what modifications I need to make to the house.  Though I have a feeling we will be needing a lot of trash (barely used items throughout the year) taken out.

No comments:

Post a Comment